CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 15

Surprise!

It all started two weeks ago and since it is such a long story, that took place in such a short amount of time, I am going to write about it by the day. Here is part one. Keep in mind, these are only highlights. The in between moments were filled with sobbing, worrying, praying, phoning my mom, starving, not sleeping and much more.

Saturday, Jan. 2, 2010: Spent all day long at the cabin in Heber. Darrel went snowmobiling and I played with my sisters kiddos. Got home around 10:30 p.m. Logged into facebook and had an urgent message from my friend. It said, "Call me, A.S.A.P." Picked up the phone at 11:00 P.M. and called her back. She asked if we were interested in adoption. Her nephew was available if we were interested. Chatted online with her sister. Her sister asked how soon we could come out and take over legal guardianship.

Sunday, Jan. 3, 2010: Text messages were sent out to family at 12:45 A.M. to ask if they would fast for us. After a long, sleepless night, I gave the lesson to a group of Beehives while crying. Darrel and I called and talked to a lawyer about the adoption process. Today marked the first day that I had ever prayed more than twice in one day. Two and a half week old baby boy was placed in the loving home of the Vancouver, Wasington stake president. Spoke with the birth mother on Facebook and was told she knew he was supposed to come to our house.

Monday, Jan. 4, 2010: As soon as offices were opened, I called LDS Social Services to see if they could facilitate it. Got assigned a case worker, Josh, who immediately emailed me stacks of paperwork. Caseworker also told me that he felt we could get everything approved in a week. Called my friend on the phone to make sure her sister was still interested and was asked if they could fly the child out here to us and relinquish their rights. Sat up all night filling out paperwork, crying, praying and hoping.

Tuesday, Jan. 5, 2010: Had our initial intake interview at LDS Social Services. Was informed of the process and given more paperwork to fill out. Paid our first sceduled payment and almost lost my breakfast. Sent to the state offices to get a background check pushed through and also to the Social Security Administration Office to get a social security card reissued. Scheduled our home inspection for the following night and personal one on one interviews with our case worker for Thursday night. Called everyone I knew who had previously adopted and asked about the house inspection. Sent Darrel to the store with his father to buy outlet covers, cabinet locks and medicine cabinets. Had mother in law and sister in law help me quickly pick up the house. Darrels brother patched holes in the walls, his dad fixed our broken silverware drawer and Darrel hung up new fire alarms, equipped with carbon monoxide detectors. Spoke to the babies aunt and was informed social services in Portland, Oregon had convinced the birth mom to look at the profiles of approved families in the system already, in case it took us a couple weeks to get approved. Very worried and confused, I went to bed at 1:00 and didn't sleep a wink.

Wednesday, Jan. 6, 2010: Got a text at work from the babies aunt that said "My sisters case worker told her she can get up to three thousand dollars from you. I guess she is in it for the money now. SO sorry." Broke out in tears. Called my friend back and tearfully told her we had nothing left to give. If she needed money, we would be forced to back out. Got a call from the birth mom. Through her tears, she assured me it wasn't about money. I was not sure who to believe, but we decided to press forward. Had our home inspection. Was relieved when the case worker sat on the couch and calmed my fears. He looked around the house and asked us questions. It lasted around an hour. It was the easiest step to date. Jaxon started preparing for a new addition. He plugged in the baby monitor and designated a spot in his bedroom for the crib. Prayed my heart out tonight.

Thursday, Jan. 7. 2010: Filled out our online profile. Had to answer weird questions, like physical traits and hobbies of each of our siblings. Accidentally left my cell phone at home. Thought I might die. Had Darrel check my messages at lunch and there was one from the birth mother. She wanted to get to know our family a little better. Apparently, she know had another family she was interested in. Cried. Asked if she could call back later that night. Cried the entire 40 minute commute home about money. Talked to birth mother for over an hour. Answered many questions and we even asked a few. Right after we hung up with her, we headed to LDS Social Services for our personal interviews. Chatted with our case worker about the birth mothers need for money. He tried to comfort me, but I was worried. Following the interviews, our case worker told us to start looking for flights. As soon as we heard her decision, we could head to Wasington.

Friday, Jan. 8, 2010: Went to work. Checked flights. $900.00 for two round trip tickets, what? Started working on a mothers gift, even though my gut said she was picking the other family. Chatted online with babies aunt to try and take my mind off of the waiting game. Also talked to birth mom on the phone. She informed us that she was still deciding and had hoped to spend the remaining hours praying until she had an answer. We felt good knowing it was in Gods hands and that if it didnt work out with her son, we would still have the opprtunity to persue adoption for at least another year. First night I had any sleep. It felt nice.

Saturday, Jan. 9, 2010: Jaxon went to his friends house to play. Darrel and I ran to WalMart to fill a prescription. After leaving WalMart, we headed to the gas station. Both phones then alerted us that we had messages. It was the birth mom. She asked us to call her back. Sitting in the parking lot of the gas station, my husband called her back. I heard him talk to her for a minute then came the words. "We having been praying our hearts out for you and know that you have made the right decision." What? Then I heard, "We are so excited. We will be there as soon as we can."

16 comments:

Kellie said...

YEAH! I love that so much. I cant believe that after a week and a half you had the baby in your arms. It really is a miracle. Love you guys!

Brett and Andrea Evers said...

AWESOME!!! It was so fun to see you guys and the new little one. I'm excited to read your story.

Mitchell Family said...

YAY! CONGRATS!

Misty Moncur said...

My mom just told me! HOLY COW! You lucky ducks! Congratulations!

Janice said...

I love your family photo, but now you have to take another one:) Miracles do happen don't they?!

The Nielsen Family said...

So excited for you! I know even though this happened quickly, you have been waiting for this addition for a long time!

Kathy Huntsman said...

Oh WOW! I am so happy for both of you! I am anxious to see this new little one - so hurry and post a picture or two...please!

Marcie said...

So excited for you!!! Where can I send presents??

wermakingmemories said...

I am so excited for you guys. I know that you've been waiting a long time to have another addition to your little family. Can't wait to see him.

Savanna said...

What a neat and special story. I am SO happy for you guys. I can't wait to meet the cute little guy. I am so excited for Jaxon to be a big brother!

Tiff said...

CONGRATS, CONGRATS, CONGRATS!!!! that is so AWESOME!!!! that totally made my day, and obviously yours! what a great thing to happen to such great people! can't wait to meet him! yay!!!

Tiff said...

btw... he is adorable!!

me said...

ok really!!?? I am SOOO excited for you guys! You deserve something amazing in your life! Love the name you chose. What a great story to pick me up! thx for sharing...

Teea Lamb said...

WOW! What a week! Thanks for sharing, I have been dying to know what happened! I am so excited for you guys! You deserve it! What a cute little guy you have! He is adorable. I can't wait to see him in person. Can he and Payson be friends? Thinking of you guys and hoping all is well. :)

M+J=K3+E said...

So amazing Traci. I enjoyed reading your story. He is so beautiful. Glad little Jaxson has a brother to play with!

Ali said...

What a WHIRLWIND!! I'm just glad your still ALIVE!! What an amazing, yet draining experience!! Isn't it amazing to feel such a strong influence of our Father in Heaven!! You guys are meant to have Keston and are going to be such an amazing family for him to grow up in!!