CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, May 27

Camp Out

The worst thing about being an Unrein is that I never get to stay in a hotel. I dream of someone else making my bed, tidying up my bathroom and cooking me a complimentary breakfast. To the Unreins, however, that spells an unnecessary expense. So, once again, Darrel drug my somewhat smiling behind out into the great outdoors for the long weekend.

It seems that when I was told the camping site was near the Vernon Beef Ranch, all sorts of ideas pop into my head. I spent many nights before the great escape having nightmares of Darrel shooting my dinner. My task would be to cook it, clad in over-alls, of course. I faintly remember waking up in a cold sweat thinking cow tipping was going to be the time waster of choice for the three day weekend.

I made a deal with Darrel before we left. I reminded him that he is always in a foul mood the day we leave, because he just wants to get there, and he is always in a foul mood when we get home, because he hates the real world. Therefore, I told him that I would allow him to be a huge grump on the way there and the way back, if he would allow me to be a grump while there. I think I lost.

Half way to Vernon, my husband realized that he forgot to pack the tent. A few cuss words later and a reminder on how to focus using the Lamaze breathing pattern, he cooled down and we made other arrangements. On Saturday morning, I became the bad wife when I apparently packed the wrong pair of jeans for my husband(maybe he should pack his own dang bag then!). In a fit of rage, he drove home, at mach 12, grabbed the correct pants and the tent and made it back to camp in time for breakfast. Things were starting to look up, until while laying on my lovely air mattress that night, I noticed water dripping into the tent from the huge rainstorm outside. I just curled up, covered my head and went to sleep. However, it kept dripping on Darrels forehead all night, inducing something much like the ancient chinese art of water torture.

We did end up having a good time though. Vernon has some really pretty ATV trails to ride, a quaint little reservoir to canoe and a nice quiet mountain to camp beside. Once I get to camp, I dont mind the great outdoors. I just really miss the last six years of running water, flushing toilet, space heater, trailer heaven.


3 comments:

Mitchell Family said...

Dont worry my idea of a fun vaction is in a hotel too! I'm not a huge outdoors person so more power to ya that you stuck it out!!!

Kelli said...

Hey I can see my butt. hehehe. I am sure glad I talked mine out of staying the whole time. Ha Ha!!!!

Brett and Andrea Evers said...

So Funny! I always laugh when I read your blog!