CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, February 21

One Sick Family

In November, I took Darrel, Jaxon and I to get our flu shots. Jaxon threw up the whole way home after the shot. Since it was his first time getting the flu shot, they had to give it to him in two doses. So, in December, I loaded him back in the car, traveled to Salt Lake and did what I was supposed to do...held him down while the nurse gave him the second dose of his shot. I hate the thought of mixing the flu with diabetes and do my best to prevent it at our house.
On Tuesday afternoon, I picked Jaxon up at the babysitters and found out he had spent the last few hours laying on his blanket on the floor with a soaring fever. The babysitter had tried to give him medicine, but my son only wants medicine when he feels fine and she felt horrible pinning him down. NOT ME! We rushed home, pulled out the Childrens Tylenol (we own stock in this, I think!), got out the baby syringe, pinned him down, shoved the syringe into his mouth until he gagged and squoze every last drop of the Tylenol into his mouth. His fever went down a little, but he had no energy and would not eat. I stayed home from work on Wednesday just to see what was going on. Around two in the afternoon he started shaking really bad and complaining about being cold. He was sweating and his eyes were watering non stop, "They hurt," he kept elling me. His cough sounded horrible and he would not eat anything except for two Reeses Peanut Butter Eggs he stole from his dads stash of goodies. When Darrel got home, we decided to take him to the doctor.
The first thing the doctor asked us is whether he had had his flu shot this year. We told her that he had so she tested him for strep, listened to his lungs, took his oxygen levels twice and felt his lymph nodes(sp?). After sitting at the doctors office for three hours, she decided to test him for influenza A anyway and after about three minutes she came back and said it is the flu! NICE! By now it was 9:45, so we rushed out of the office and ran to Walgreens before they closed. We ran into three other families there who were at the doctors office with us and our kids all had the same thing. The pharmacist told us that WalMart had called earlier in the day to see if they had any Tamiflu there, because apparently everyone is running out of the medication. The nice doctor wrote Darrel and I a prescription also so that we could try to beat the virus before it got us too.
If any of you have SelectMed insurance, I beg you to change carriers. When we picked up the prescription finally at 10:15, we were informed that SelectMed wont cover that medication because it will not cure the Flu, it will just help treat it. NICE, again! I guess it only makes sense to me to pay for flu medicine, if it would prevent a diabetic subscriber from spending a lot of time and money in the hospital.
Well, its Thursday now. Jax is dying on the couch. He is sweating so bad and coughing so much. His eyes are constantly watering and I have not slept much in the last two days. At least the insurance company will not have to cover our medical bills this time, because last night I shelled out $350.00 to keep us healthy this season!
On a lighter note......Since I was up on the couch this morning at 7:15 with one sick little boy, I felt the big earthquake. It was pretty cool. It reminded me of sitting on the pew at church and having the big heavy guy at the end of the bench shake his leg. You know what I am talking about, it makes the whole pew rumble. I have to write Kevin and tell him that he and I are officially eathquake savvy!
Well, Jax wants to me come and lay down by him. It is the first time all day he hasn't asked for Grandma Tye, so I am going to go and take advantage of that.

1 comment:

Holly said...

I am so sorry you guys are sick! I hope you all get feeling better! Let us know if we can help!